Sunday, March 8, 2015

My Out of Control Library

So, four years of school and every seasoned teacher I came across said "Build your collection!" So, I dutifully hoarded every young adult book I could find including everything from my own childhood collection to the $5 a box yard sale or auction find.

This advice was meant to be helpful. I'm not sure if these advisers wish they had a larger collection when they started to teach or if they had somehow collected book of their own. In any case, I'm sure not one of them could imagine the massive amounts of books I've come to collect prior to any employment. That is to say that my room has become more of a storage unit for classroom supplies than an actual sleeping space.




So, in terms of my classroom library, I'm taking it a step at a time. First, I've collected every children's book I could find into one corner.

Next comes the fun part. I found this amazing article by Mandy Holland at www.tips-for-teachers.com. She seems to have a great organization of her library, so I wanted to give mine the same good start.

I chose to use LibraryThing to catalog my books. After looking into dozens of apps and websites, this one seemed the easiest to use. A lot of my books are 20 years old or older because they're mostly second hand. This online catalog had almost all of them saved. I just had to search for the title and select the book. Check out my library of books below!



Now, here's where you'll find the catch. Library Thing allows for 200 free cataloged books. I got one box in and my list tapped out. That's when I signed up for the lifetime membership that cost about $25 and allows for an unlimited number of books!

Still logging books so I'm off to that!

My next step is to organize the books I have into some sort of mobile but logical book storage... We shall see...

I've got 480 books and still counting!

I'll post again next Sunday! Your comments keep me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment